[Comments] Markdown

Requests for additional software features

Moderators: abstr, Niko

Niko

[Comments] Markdown

Post by Niko » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:22 pm

The Comments section has three popular formats: html, rtf and txt. An easy to type alternative to html could be markdown (.md), which seems to become quite popular now.

abstr
Site Admin

Re: [Comments] Markdown

Post by abstr » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:55 am

I started a Markdown comments plugin a while ago precisely because it's easy to type formatting without having to use keyboard shortcuts or the mouse but I wasn't happy with the initial results from a usability perspective.

Consider the following mockup:
markdown.PNG
markdown.PNG (23.76 KiB) Viewed 41 times
The problem for me is the user's need to validate their markup with a preview of some sort. It could have a permanent position separate by a splitter (like in the mockup), or there could be a button to enable 'edit mode' or there could be two tabs to switch between. And each of these has problems.

Also, as the user move the selection between different tasks, the comments really wants to be displaying the preview because I find it hard to scan markup with all the formatting commands mixed in.

Niko

Post by Niko » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:05 am

Haha, it's a second thing that I suggest that you've already made =).
Some thoughts about the plugin:
- Those folks who use it usually don't care about the "Front-end", because they know all necessary tags they use. That's why the absence of "Preview" isn't a big case for them.
abstr wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:55 am
or there could be a button to enable 'edit mode'
Probably the best solution. As an additional feature is to bind hotkeys to switch between edit and preview mode in the comments.

Niko

Post by Niko » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:01 pm

I think I have found a way to deal with the issue (actually stole it from Typora =)).
Just highlight a raw text in markdown tags.
today.jpg
today.jpg (5.67 KiB) Viewed 10 times