Quick filter Topic is solved

How-to's and other software related queries

Moderator: abstr

Djo

Quick filter

Post by Djo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:46 am

I use a lot the "Any text field" filter (i.e. the Title / Title + Comment filter) to quickly find tasks. It is usually more efficient to me than the Quick Find command, especially with big tasklists.

It seems there is no keyboard shortcut for the "Any text field" control so I have to click with the mouse first on it. Not very handy.

A quick way to filter "Any text field", similar to the way Quick find work, would be great.

The ability to convert (quickly with the keyboard) a Quick Find to a quick filter could maybe be the answer?

Thanks

abstr
Site Admin

Re: Quick filter

Post by abstr » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:51 am

As an 'old' app, TDL supports the old way of jumping to input fields - aka 'Keyboard Accelerators' - which uses the ALT key and the (historically) underlined letter of the field's preceding label.

Unfortunately Microsoft disabled the underlining of these special letters and you need to manually re-enable them to get the most from this feature. And you will need to restart TDL.

Once you do that you should see something similar to this:
accelerators.png
accelerators.png (14.32 KiB) Viewed 177 times
To use In this specific case it means that 'ALT + T' should jump straight to the 'Title' filter field wherever the focus is in the app.

Note: with so many fields there are some duplicates which means repeatedly pressing the key combination to cycle through them.
Note: Apologies if you already knew this.

Djo

Re: Quick filter

Post by Djo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:55 am

Thanks. Yes, I knew about that. The "problem" (not a big deal in reality) is having to cycle through duplicates (some in the Edit bar, like Status or Start Date).

On my side something could be done easily with AutoHotKey, but I prefer not to customize the program with external scripts and make suggestions / feedback instead.

Anyway, Alt+A to reach the "Any text field" filter control will be okay.