Unique master password for several encrypted tasklists

Requests for additional software features

Moderator: abstr

Djo

Unique master password for several encrypted tasklists

Post by Djo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:42 pm

I would like to encrypt my tasklists because I don't really like that they are stored in pain text in the cloud (I use Onedrive).

I've tried some encryption solutions, like VeraCrypt, but I haven't found any good solution for my needs (with VeraCrypt the files are not sync in Onedrive as long as the VeraCrypt container remains mounted, so this is a problem for me).

The "Encrypt tasklist" command in ToDoList would be the solution, but what stops me to use it is the need to retype password each time we (re)enter a tasklist.

It would be awesome if we could type a master password when ToDoList starts, and all the tasklists loaded would be decrypted with this master password. This master password would be applicable during the entire working session with TDL.

abstr
Site Admin

Re: Unique master password for several encrypted tasklists

Post by abstr » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:44 am

TDL has a 'secret' mode that will only prompt you the first time you access a tasklist each session. Needless to say this should only be used when your environment is secure from prying eyes.

To enable it you have to close TDL, append '-x' to the shortcut used to start TDL, and then restart.

I know you have lots of tasklists but this might make it manageable in the shorter term.

In the longer term I could add another command line switch which would treat the first entered password (each session) as a master password and attempt to apply it without showing the password dialog when opening any subsequent tasklists.

Djo

Re: Unique master password for several encrypted tasklists

Post by Djo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:26 am

abstr wrote:TDL has a 'secret' mode that will only prompt you the first time you access a tasklist each session.
Thanks, very good to know!

abstr wrote:this might make it manageable in the shorter term.
Yes

abstr wrote:In the longer term I could add another command line switch which would treat the first entered password (each session) as a master password and attempt to apply it without showing the password dialog when opening any subsequent tasklists.
That would be great! Thanks