How can I work with .tdl files on Android devices?

Everything related to the 'Tdl Todo List' Android App

Moderator: abstr

abstr
Site Admin

Re: How can I work with .tdl files on Android devices?

Post by abstr » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:32 am

Many thanks Heidi.

I've created another board for all Android-related questions/bugs/suggestions.

didi

Post by didi » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:01 pm

Hi ajige,

I sent you an email today, but I'm posting it here, for everyone. Thanks for your hard work, and the update. I tried it today, and unfortunately, after editing files on android, I still cannot open them under Windows...
Also when editing a task (i.e. just changing the title) it will show up multiple times. After reopening the file, there's only one instance, though.
As regards the last point, I've tried opening the file from the Google Drive app (the only other browser app I have is TotalCommander, which doesn't have the problem; I've just tried with Google Files, but it says none of my apps is able to open this type of file) and it doesn't give me your app as an option, unfortunately.
Dunno...

If there's anything I can do to help...

Thanks in advance!
ajige wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pm
Hi,

The update with the fix is now in they Play store. I have not heard any responses back from testing, so please let me know if this doesn't work.
I'm sorry it took so long.
As for opening the files/lists, I'm not sure I understand what the problem is, but you should be able to open the file from within the Android app if you use the file browser to point to the directory where the file is located. Please email me if you have problems. The instructions are not the best.

barvetal

Post by barvetal » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:40 pm

Hello everyone,

Sorry, I was out of the office but now I've been able to test the new version (2.7) of the app.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. When I try to open a file in the Windows app after the TDL app on Android, I've got an error "C:\Dropbox\NewTemp\SS.tdl' could not be opened due to an unexpected error (0).".

Another one issue - I can't edit a file directly from DropBox on Android. When I click a TDL file in the Android app, the TDL Android app opens but shows 2 errors instead of opening the file:
Last edited by barvetal on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

ajige

Post by ajige » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:12 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry it doesn't work. It worked fine for me, so I'll have to do some more investigation.

As for the dropbox problem, I couldn't see the images, but tried it from my dropbox app, and also get some errors. In the mean time, it should be possible to open from within the Android tdl app. At least it works for me that way. Which probably means there is an issue with the file path not being correctly read by my app. The bug fix I just published did not do any changes to this part of the code.

As for editing tasks showing up twice afterwards, this is a refresh problem, which shouldn't be hard to fix. However, again, this can not be a new problem, since I didn't do any changes to this part of the code.

Anything else I should fix at the same time?

Again, sorry for not supplying a fix that actually worked!

barvetal

Post by barvetal » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:17 am

Hello,

Heidi, here are the messages that were on my screenshots:

"/filecache/c272957a-cc95-4d16-8de7-7a272cd9dfb9: open failed: ENOENT (No such file or directory) Unable to write to external storage."
and
"Error reading bundle info android.view.WindowManager$BadTokenException: Unable to add window -- token null is not valid; is your activity running?"

Thank you

ajige

Post by ajige » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:04 pm

Update:
It wasn't as easy to fix as originally thought. The reason for the file not being read in the desktop program, is not the lack of certain attributes, but unfortunately the way the file is saved in my Android app. When the file is opened in a text editor on the desktop, changed a little and then saved, that saved version will be able to be read by the desktop tdl program. But not if it's taken from the phone directly.
I'm not quite sure in which version of Android this started happening, but file access in Android has constantly been changing, and I know there are changes to the file system in Android 10(Q).
To be a little more technical, Android (or my app) saves the file in an unknown type (model/x.stl-binary), whereas the desktop program seems to want the file in a binary type (application/octet-stream). If anyone has any insight here, that would be welcome.

Anyways, there are always ways around problems, I just have to find it. Even though I'm not using the TDL app myself much anymore, this is also very relevant to some other apps I'm working on.

Sorry for not being more specific as to when a permanent fix will be in, but in the mean time, a workaround would be to open the file in an external text editor, save and open in the desktop TDL program. Or just use it in a read-only way.

didi

Post by didi » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:52 am

Hello Heidi,

any progress on the Android App? As you said, it seems to be trickier than it first seemed, and now the v8 came out, I guess there's more changes and so to keep in mind...
Looking forward to hear from you, and let us know when there's a new (beta) version to try out!

Greetings

JuandeArriba

Post by JuandeArriba » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:58 am

Hi Ajige,

First, thanks for your efford!

I would contribute to the development of the android application by donations in Play Store.

I'm interested in "simple" improvements like typography size options to obtain a better usability.

Regards
Discipline is your best friend

ajige

Post by ajige » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi,

I finally think I've found the problem. I just need to do some more testing.
I also need to add code to deal with the way the file storage system is handled in the newer version of Android before I can have the release out.

didi

Post by didi » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:29 pm

Great, if you need any help testing, let us know (like signing up for beta on Google Play or so...)